People Who Inject Drugs: Motivations, Initiations, and Socioeconomics
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
People who inject drugs (PWID) often have poor health and lack access to health care. This CEU course examines whether PWID engage in self-treatment through nonmedical prescription opioid use (NMPOU). Further, whether a history of medication-assisted treatment (MAT) enrollment is associated with a reduced odds of PWID providing injection initiation assistance is discussed. Finally, this course identifies socioeconomic factors associated with cessation of injection drug use among street-involved youth.
Article Author: Disa Dahlman, M.D., M.A., Ph.D. candidate, et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the factors identifying patients in chronic opioid therapy at high risk for misuse.
2. Investigate what the use of NMPD among PWID has been found to be significantly associated with.
3. Examine the connection between MAT enrollment and reduction in initiating others into IDU.
4. Elucidate the covariates found to be positively associated with NMPOU.
5. Identify the contributing factor to injection initiation among youth populations.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-01-06