Understanding the Impact of Trauma
$6.00 | CE Hours:2.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This course examines common experiences survivors may encounter immediately following or long after a traumatic experience. This course begins with an overview of common responses, emphasizing that traumatic stress reactions are normal reactions to abnormal circumstances. It also highlights common short- and long-term responses to traumatic experiences in the context of individuals who may seek behavioral health services. In addition, this course discusses psychological symptoms not represented in the DSM-5 and responses associated with trauma that either fall below the threshold of mental disorders or reflect resilience. This course also addresses common disorders associated with traumatic stress and explores the role of culture in defining mental illness, particularly PTSD, and addresses co-occurring mental and substance-related disorders.
Author: Kathleen Guarino, LMHC
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Describe the sequence of trauma reactions and common experiences and responses to trauma.
2. Discuss the relationship between substance use and trauma.
3. Identify the characteristics of subthreshold trauma-related symptoms that do not meet the criteria for common trauma reactions.
4. Differentiate between acute stress disorder and post traumatic stress disorder, including diagnostic criteria, clinical profiles and histories, and appropriate interventions.
5. Evaluate the relationship between trauma-related disturbances and co-occurring disorders including mood, anxiety, substance use, and personality disorders.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-08-12