Suicide Clusters in American Indian and Alaska Native Communities
$7.50 | CE Hours:1.50 | Intermediate
***This course will be expiring on 06/29/2022. After this date, you will be unable to take this course for renewal credit.***
CE Course Description
American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) adolescents and young adults have alarmingly high suicide rates and are at greater risk for suicide contagion and cluster formation than other age demographics. This CE course provides research on suicide clusters and contagion in general and within AI/AN communities, and includes discussions with several subject matter experts and interviews with representatives from the CDC and the Indian Health Service.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Suicide Clusters within American Indian and Alaska Native Communities: A review of the literature and recommendations. HHS Publication No. SMA17-5050. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2017.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Suicide-Clusters-within-American-Indian-and-Alaska-Native-Communities-/SMA17-5050
CE Course Objectives
1. Show how the AI/AN communities face a perfect storm that contribute to the formation and spread of suicide clusters among youth.
2. Explain under what conditions a response plan should be implemented.
3. Provide three recommendations for how parents and communities should talk about suicide.
4. Identify the individuals at the greatest risk of contagion.
5. Describe the advantage of tribal surveillance systems.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. AI/AN Suicide and Suicide Clusters Background
a. Suicidal Behaviors
3. Suicide Clusters and Contagion: Terminology and Concepts
c. Mechanisms of Suicide Clusters
4. Risk and Protective Factors
b. Risk Factors
c. Developmental Factors
d. Protective Factors
5. The Role of Media and Other Communication Sources during Suicide Clusters
a. Media and Technology
b. Media / Communication Guidelines
6. AI/AN Community Involvement
a. Develop a Community Response Plan
b. Educational Meetings
c. Individual and Group Counseling for Affected Peers
d. Screening High-Risk Individuals
e. Responsible Media Reporting of Suicide Clusters
f. Promotion of Health Recovery within the Community to Prevent Further Suicides
7. Considerations for Suicide Cluster Identification and Intervention with AI/AN Communities
a. Recognize / Acknowledge Tribal Differences
b. Culturally Relevant Strategies and Interventions
c. Intergenerational Separation
d. Marginalization and Hopelessness
e. Normalization of Suicide
f. Systems of Care / Help Seeking
8. Proposed Recommendations: Suggestions to Better Support AI/AN Communities
b. Modifying the CDC Guidelines
c. Specific Recommendations
d. Prodiving Supplemental Training and Materials
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-04-30