Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment (Updated)
$7.50 | CE Hours:2.50 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Because drug abuse and addiction have so many dimensions and disrupt so many aspects of an individual’s life, treatment is not simple. This CE course addresses addiction to a wide variety of drugs, including nicotine, alcohol, and illicit and prescription drugs, in an attempt to explain the problems faced by patients in need of treatment for drug abuse or addiction.
Author: Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition). (2018). National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Retrieved from: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/acknowledgments
CE Course Objectives
1. Evaluate four co-occurring mental health problems that are often associated with adolescent drug abuse.
2. Name three things that lapses to drug abuse indicate.
3. Identify the length of time that most research show patients need in treatment to significantly reduce or stop their drug use.
4. Describe three ways that Motivational Enhancement Therapy can help with the treatment of addiction.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Drug addiction is a complex illness
2. Principles of Effective Treatment
3. Frequently Asked Questions
a. Why do drug-addicted persons keep using drugs?
b. What is drug addiction treatment?
c. How effective is drug addiction treatment?
d. Is drug addiction treatment worth its cost?
e. How long does drug addiction treatment usually last?
f. What helps people stay in treatment?
g. How do we get more substance-abusing people into treatment?
h. How can family and friends make a difference in the life of someone needing treatment?
i. Where can family members go for information on treatment options?
j. How can the workplace play a role in substance abuse treatment?
k. What role can the criminal justice system play in addressing drug addiction?
l. What are the unique needs of women with substance use disorders?
m. What are the unique needs of pregnant women with substance use disorders?
n. What are the unique needs of adolescents with substance use disorders?
o. Are there specific drug addiction treatments for older adults?
p. Can a person become addicted to medications prescribed by a doctor?
q. Is there a difference between physical dependence and addiction?
r. How do other mental disorders coexisting with drug addiction affect drug addiction treatments?
s. Is the use of medications like methadone and buprenorphine simply replacing one addiction with another?
t. Where do 12-step or self-help programs fit into drug addiction treatment?
u. Can exercise play a role in the treatment process?
v. How does drug addiction treatment help reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C (HCV), and other infectious diseases?
4. Drug Addiction Treatment in the United States
a. Types of Treatment Programs
b. Treating Criminal Justice-Involved Drug Abusers and Addicted Individuals
5. Evidence-Based Approaches to Drug Addiction Treatment
b. Tobacco Addiction
c. Alcohol Addiction
d. Behavioral Therapies
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-09-03