Older Adults and Depression
$18.00 | CE Hours:6.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD
CE Course Description
This course describes what an evidence-based practice (EBP) for treating older adults with depression is. It also presents factors to consider when choosing an EBP; identifies which EBPs are available for older adults with depression; and describes the available training resources. These interventions are more likely to reduce depressive symptoms in older adults than other interventions when implemented correctly. EBPs covered include psychotherapy interventions, antidepressant medications, multidisciplinary geriatric outreach services, and collaborative and integrated mental and physical health care.
Article Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Pamela Fischer, Ph.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Know what EBPs are available to help older adults with depression.
2. Have sufficient information about EBPs available to identify what will be most effective for a particular older adult or group of adults with depression.
3. Be able to evaluate the effectiveness of different psychotherapy interventions for treating depression in older adults.
4. Be able to evaluate in what contexts to use psychotherapy interventions, antidepressant medications, or a combination of both.
5. Assess the potential effectiveness of evidence based collaborative and integrated treatment models for older adults with depression.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2012-08-22