Child Abuse & Neglect - Recognizing Signs and Symptoms
$9.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
This course addresses abuse and neglect by looking at: the legal definition; federal law related to child abuse. Assessing the signs and symptoms; what is known about chronic neglect; ways to work with families experiencing chronic neglect, including critical elements of successful casework practice; examples of what agencies are doing and ways agencies can integrate child welfare approaches to chronic neglect with prevention and early intervention efforts.
Also discussed are the the long-term physical, psychological, behavioral, and societal consequences of child abuse and neglect; and the importance of prevention as a critical component of the nation’s child protection system will be looked at by outlining programs and strategies that are proving beneficial in reducing the likelihood of child maltreatment.
Article Author: Child Welfare Information Gateway, JooYeun Chang, J.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
1. Differentiate between child abuse and neglect, including how they are defined in Federal law.
2. Review current child abuse and neglect statistics as well as how childhood trauma impacts well-being.
3. Discuss the major types of child abuse and neglect while determining how to recognize signs and symptoms of maltreatment.
4. Identify the challenges associated with chronic neglect and give examples of promising interventions and evidence-informed programs that offer help.
5. Summarize the long-term physical, psychological, behavioral, and societal consequences of child abuse and neglect.
6. Describe the history of child abuse prevention, progress made, and promising prevention strategies.
Date Added: 2014-09-11
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.