Substance Abuse Treatment and Family Therapy (Revised) - Part 1
$20.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The fields of substance abuse treatment and family therapy share many common assumptions, approaches, and techniques, but differ in significant philosophical and practical ways that affect treatment approaches and goals. This CE course explores substance abuse treatment and family therapy, the impacts of substance abuse on families, and approaches to therapy.
Article Author: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Substance Abuse Treatment and Family Therapy. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 39. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 15-4219. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2015.
Boyd, M.R., and Mackey, M.C. Alienation from self and other: The psychosocial problem of rural alcoholic women. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing 14(3):134-141, 2000.
Brandl, B., and Horan, D.L. Domestic violence in later life: An overview for health care providers. Women & Health 35(2-3):41-54, 2002.
Clay, R.A. SAMHSA launches buprenorphine education initiative. SAMHSA News 11(1):3, 2003.
Retreived from: https://store.samhsa.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Enumerate goals of behavioral contracting therapy.
2. Investigate the main purpose for family therapy in substance abuse treatment.
3. Examine the type of sibling relationships that can protect adolescents against substance abuse.
4. Elucidate the patterns of behavior that codependent people are thought to have.
5. Identify the single most potent risk factor of future maladaption, predisposition to substance use, and psychological difficulties.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Substance Abuse Treatment and Family Therapy
a. What Is a Family?
b. What Is Family Therapy?
c. Family Therapy in Substance Abuse Treatment
2. Impact of Substance Abuse on Families
a. Families With a Member Who Abuses Substances
b. Other Treatment Issues
3. Approaches to Therapy
a. Differences in Theory and Practice
b. Family Therapy for Substance Abuse Counselors
c. Substance Abuse Treatment for Family Therapists
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-08