Opioid Use Disorder: Pharmacotherapy - Part 1
$12.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The United States is experiencing an opioid addiction epidemic. This CE course describes general principles of opioid use disorder (OUD) pharmacotherapy and discusses medication formulations, indications, and dosing for two of the three FDA-approved medications used to treat OUD - methadone and naltrexone.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Medications for Opioid Use Disorder. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 63. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-63-Medications-for-Opioid-Use-Disorder-Executive-Summary/SMA18-5063EXSUMM
CE Course Objectives
1. Differentiate between mu-opioid receptor full agonists, partial agonists, and antagonist.
2. Explain why oral naltrexone is not widely used to treat opioid use disorder.
3. Judge which OUD medication can be used during pregnancy.
4. Consider three indications that medically supervised withdrawal using methadone is appropriate for patients.
5. Weigh three contraindications to receiving XR-NTX.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Overview of Pharmacotherapy for Opioid Use Disorder
a. Introduction to Medications That Address OUD
b. Principles of OUD Pharmacotherapy
c. Overview of Medication Indications and Dosing
d. Dosing Considerations
f. Initiating Methadone Treatment
g. Duration of Methadone Treatment
h. Methadone Dosing Summary
i. Enhancing Access to OUD Medication in OTPs
c. Dosing Considerations
d. Naltrexone Dosing Summary
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-02