Opioid Treatment Guidelines for Chronic Pain - Part 2
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The guidelines presented in this course provide healthcare providers with a framework by which to evaluate, treat, and manage the individual needs and preferences of patients with chronic pain who are on or being considered for long-term opioid therapy (LOT). This CE course gives a clear explanation of the logical relationships between various care options and health outcomes while rating both the quality of the evidence and the strength of the recommendation.
Article Author: The Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Work Group. (2017, February). VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain. Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense.
Dowell, D, Haegerich, TM, Chou, R. CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain - United States, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016;65(1):1-49.
Hedegaard, H, Chen, LH, Warner, M. Drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin: United States, 2000-2013. NCHS Data Brief. Mar 2015(190):1-8.
Rudd, RA, Aleshire, N, Zibbell, JE, Gladden, RM. Increases in drug and opioid overdose deaths - United States, 2000-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;64(50-51):1378-1382.
Retrieved from: https://www.healthquality.va.gov/
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain the unique pharmacologic properties of methadone that make it particularly risky.
2. Describe the first recommendation for those patients who develop OUD and progress to intravenous drug use.
3. Identify the strongest predictor of developing OUD.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Initiation and Continuation of Opioids
2. Risk Mitigation
3. Type, Dose, Duration, Follow-up, and Taper of Opioids
4. Opioid Therapy for Acute Pain
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-06-05