Issues of LGBTQ in Substance Abuse Treatment for Social Workers
$9.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
For social workers to deliver skilled care to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) clients, they need to be aware of issues specific to the LGBTQ community. This CE course provides an overview of the use and abuse of substances in the LGBTQ community, presents information to help social workers understand cultural issues relevant to treating LGBTQ clients, examines ways programs can safeguard information about clients’ substance abuse histories, and advises on approaches of care relevant to the LGBTQ populations.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2012). A Provider's Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Rockville, MD.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/A-Provider-s-Introduction-to-Substance-Abuse-Treatment-for-Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-and-Transgender-Individuals/SMA12-4104
CE Course Objectives
1. Summarize three topics social workers should regularly direct attention to when working with the LGBTQ community.
2. Explain what social workers need to be aware of when communicating with American Indians and Alaska Natives.
3. Consider the clinical issues facing bisexuals and what these issues often result from.
4. Develop the key concept in understanding issues facing gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals in substance abuse treatment.
5. Identify for which substance there is compelling evidence that HIV and hepatitis C infections are linked with its use.
6. Describe a culturally competent model of treatment.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. An Overview for Providers Treating LGBT Clients
a. The epidemiology of substance abuse among the LGBT population
b. The types of substances abused
c. Definitions of key terms
d. Characteristics of LGBT individuals
e. How differences in LGBT life experiences may shape the substance abuse issues
f. Life cycle issues for LGBT individuals
2. Cultural Issues in Working with LGBT Individuals
a. What cultural competence is
b. How cross-cultural issues affect substance abuse treatment
c. What the dimensions of culture are
d. Treatment issues that are unique to different ethnic groups
e. Perspectives on gay culture
3. Legal Issues for Programs Treating LGBT Clients
a. How programs can protect the confidentiality of LGBT clients
b. The legal barriers facing LGBT individuals
c. The legal issues raised by HIV / AIDS
d. What policies programs should adopt to ensure that clients and staff are fairly treated
4. Overview of Treatment Approaches, Modalities, and Issues of Accessibility in the Continuum of Care
a. The special issues that need to be addressed in working with LGBT individuals
b. The levels of care and the types of treatment that appear to work bst for LGBT individuals
c. The major issues of accessibility related to substance abuse treatment for LGBT populations
d. How a program can be made accessible for LGBT populations
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-12-20