Trauma and Urban Poverty
$25.00 | CE Hours:5.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
This white paper reviews the clinical and research literatures on the impact of trauma in the context of urban poverty on the family system including the individual child or adult, adult intimate partnership, parent-child, siblings and intergenerational relationships, as well as the family as a whole.
Article Author: Family-Informed Trauma Treatment Center, Laurel Kiser, Ph.D., M.B.A
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Evaluate how factors associated with urban poverty such as low neighborhood safety, family violence, maltreatment, and racial discrimination can lead to a disproportionate risk of trauma exposure.
2. Describe key research findings on the impact of trauma and urban poverty on children and adolescents, family members, the family as a whole, the parent-child relationship, and intimate partner realtionships.
3. Identify appropriate screening and assessment instruments as well as treatment interventions that are appropriate for individual family members and/or the family system.
4. Determine how predetermined risk factors can lead to negative outcomes for those facing poverty and trauma, while protective factors can increase the potential for resilience and growth following traumatic experiences
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2011-10-27