Tobacco Cessation Programs in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Settings
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Cigarette smoking is very common among people with substance use problems. This CE course is meant to help implement a tobacco cessation program for clients in SUD treatment and beyond.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Implementing Tobacco Cessation Programs in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Settings: A Quick Guide for Program Directors and Clinicians. HHS Publication No. SMA18-5069QG. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Implementing-Tobacco-Cessation-Programs-in-Substance-Use-Disorder-Treatment-Settings/SMA18-5069QG
CE Course Objectives
1. Name two forms of tobacco cessation interventions that increase tobacco abstinence.
2. Explain how smoking interacts with relapse to substance use.
3. Provide three over-the-counter nicotine replacement therapies that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for smoking cessation.
4. Identify how soon after quitting smoking the chance of having a heart attack begins to decrease.
5. Summarize a technique that can be useful for smokers who are not ready to quit or who are ambivalent about quitting.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Why Combine Smoking Cessation and Substance Use Disorder Treatment?
2. Call to Action
3. Overview of the Problem
4. Benefits of Tobacco Cessation
5. Benefits of a Tobacco-Free Workplace
6. Implementation of Tobacco Cessation Treatment
7. Implementation of a Tobacco-Free Environment
8. Additional Implementation Tips
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-12-03