Safe Patient Handling
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD
CE Course Description
This public domain document includes an entire curriuclum for use by nurse educators to assist in properly teaching nurses new to the field safe patient handling and movement. Feel free to download this entire document to use in your curriculum in the training of nurses new to the field.
Patient-handling and movement activities are a necessary part of basic nursing care. Nurses of all ages and experience levels become injured on the job while performing tasks such as getting patients out of bed, transferring them to stretchers, or pulling them up in bed. This course covers areas that lead to risks of MSDs and that decrease the occurrence of these disorders in nurses.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the prevalence and causes of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) in the nursing profession.
2. Describe the need to adopt safe patient handling (SPH) techniques to reduce the incidence of MSDs related to the handling of patients.
3. Identify ways to incorporate evidence-based patient handling into a nursing school curriculum, while evaluating specific components of the program.
4. Review practical tools and algorithms for safe patient handling in various clinical settings.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2012-03-23