Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Alzheimer's
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Advanced
CE Course Description
Neuropsychiatric symptoms (NPSs) are hallmarks of Alzheimer’s disease (AD), causing substantial distress for both people with dementia and their caregivers, and contributing to early institutionalization. This CE course explores the neurobiology of NPSs in AD and specific symptoms common in AD such as psychosis, agitation, apathy, depression, and sleep disturbances. In addition, clinical trial designs for NPSs in AD and regulatory considerations will be discussed.
Author: Lanctot, K., Amatniek, J., Ancoli-Israel, S., Arnold, S., Ballard, C., Cohen-Mansfield, J., et al. (2017, September). Neuropsychiatric signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease: New treatment paradigms. Alzheimer’s & Dementia: Translational Research & Clinical Interventions. Vol 3, Issue 3, Pages 440-449. Open access.
Retrieved from: https://www.trci.alzdem.com/
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude which cholinesterase inhibitor has shown improvements in apathy.
2. Describe four aspects of hallucinations in AD.
3. Name the most common NPS in AD.
4. Provide the order in which the phases of NPSs emerge.
CE Outline with Main Points
2. History and overview
3. The neurobiology of NPSs in AD
4. Neuropsychiatric symptoms
a. Psychotic symptoms in AD
b. Agitation in AD
c. Apathy in AD
d. Depression in AD
e. Sleep disturbances and AD
5. Design for NPS trials
6. Regulatory Considerations
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course does not have CAADE approval for CEUs.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2019-03-18