Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment (Updated)
$45.00 | CE Hours:9.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
Regardless of setting or level of care, the goals of detoxification are to provide safe and humane withdrawal from substances and to foster the patient’s entry into long-term treatment and recovery. This CE course provides the core concepts of the detoxification field, discusses the primary goals of detoxification services, and highlights issues involved with providing detoxification within systems of care. In addition, the criteria for placing patients in appropriate treatment settings, the psychological and biomedical issues that may affect detoxification and ensuing treatment, and treatment regimens for specific substances are discussed.
Article Author: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment [CSAT], Norman Miller, M.D., FASAM, et al.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Enumerate the signs and symptoms of conditions that require immediate medical attention.
2. Investigate the essential components that make up the detoxification process.
3. Examine the specific themes of historical and clinical importance to least restrictive care.
4. Scrutinize the only time when ambulatory detoxification is considered appropriate.
5. Define the domain of detoxification.
6. Elucidate the requisite skills and knowledge base for assessing and treating patients undergoing detoxification.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2016-06-19