Common Comorbidities with Substance Use Disorders
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Many individuals who develop substance use disorders (SUD) are also diagnosed with mental disorders, and vice versa. This CE course provides information on the state of the science in the comorbidity of substance use disorders with mental illness and physical health conditions.
Author: National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2018.
Retrieved from: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/finder/t/90/comorbidity
CE Course Objectives
1. Give three ways in which clinical research indicates that drug use and addiction influence HIV and its consequences.
2. Identify which area of the brain is among the last to mature and enhances vulnerability to drug use and the development of a substance use disorder.
3. Conclude the mental illness that frequent marijuana use during adolescence can increase the risk of in adulthood.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. The Connection Between Substance Use Disorder and Mental Illness
a. Why is there comorbidity between substance use disorders and mental illness?
b. What are some approaches to diagnosis?
c. What are the treatments for comorbid substance use disorder and mental health conditions?
2. Co-occurring Substance Use Disorder and Physical Comorbidities
3. The Connection between Substance Use Disorders and HIV
a. Why is HIV screening important?
b. What are some methods for HIV prevention and treatment for individuals with substance use disorders?
c. How can we achieve an AIDS-free generation?
4. Barriers to Comprehensive Treatment for Individuals with Co-Occurring Disorders
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-10-09