Preventing Workplace Violence for Healthcare and Social Service Workers
$3.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Beginning
CE Course Description
Healthcare and social service workers face significant risks of job-related violence. This CE course provides guidelines that reflect the variations that exist in different settings and incorporates the latest and most effective ways to reduce the risk of violence in the workplace.
Author: Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Guidelines for Preventing Workplace Violence for Healthcare and Social Service Workers. (2016). OSHA 3148-06R.
ECRI Institue. (2011). Healthcare Risk Control: Violence in Healthcare Facilities. Plymouth Meeting: ECRI Institute.
Farkas, G.M., and Tsukayama, J.K. (2012). An integrative approach to threat assessment and management: Security and mental health response to a threatening client. Work, 9-14.
International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety. (2012). Security Design Guidelines for Healthcare Facilities. Glendale Heights: IAHSS.
Retrieved from: https://www.osha.gov/pls/publications/publication.AthruZ?pType=AthruZ
CE Course Objectives
1. Conclude the purpose of investigating incidents of workplace violence.
2. Describe why trauma-informed services can be more supportive than traditional service delivery approaches.
3. Explain what should be done first when an incident occurs.
4. Identify the specific diagnosis or type of patient that predicts future violence.
5. Name three work-related incidents that employers must report within 24 hours.
6. Provide the type of activity that is important in identifying patterns of assaults or near misses that could be prevented or reduced through the implementation of appropriate controls.
CE Outline with Main Points
1. Overview of the Guidelines
2. Violence in the Workplace: The Impact of Workplace Violence on Healthcare and Social Service Workers
3. Violence Prevention Programs
a. Management Commitment and Worker Participation
b. Worksite Analysis and Hazard Identification
c. Hazard Prevention and Control
d. Safety and Health Training
e. Record keeping and Program Evaluation
4. Workplace Violence Program Checklists
5. Workers’ Rights
Date Added: 2019-04-14
Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2019 – 01/03/2020. Social workers completing this course receive 1.00 continuing education credits.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degree of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Board Approvals for this course can be found here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.