Substance Abuse Counselor Ethics, Confidentiality, and Boundaries (Update)
$45.00 | CE Hours:9.00 | Intermediate
*This course meets the prerequisite requirements for the 9-hour orientation for California Substance Abuse Counselor registrants, RADTs, and includes 3 hours of Ethics, 3 hours of 42 CFR Part II Confidentiality and HIPAA, and 3 hours of Boundaries.
**This course is NOT approved for CE renewal for CCAPP certificate holders. Instead, you may take the 8 CE hour course under the CCAPP course category located here.
IAODAPCA CE Credit for Counselor I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I or II, CRSS II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, CFPP II, CVSS II
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED CE Hours for only $74.95?
Click Here to learn more.
CE Course Description
Healthcare professionals may face various types of ethical dilemmas and challenges while delivering care to individuals seeking their services. The first step towards managing these ethical dilemmas and challenges is to gather an understanding of the ethical obligations and responsibilities you have towards your clients. This course covers the essential topics of Ethics, Confidentiality, and Boundaries for Addiction and other Licensed Professional Counselors utilizing sample case studies and a review of NAADAC Code of Ethics as well as a review of larger state board Code of Ethics as sample studies.
Author: Macera, M. (2018, September). Quantum Units Education.
Copyright: Quantum Units Education. December 2018.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify strategies for addiction professionals to effectively manage and resolve the various types of ethical dilemmas and challenges that may arise.
2. Describe the four cornerstones of health care ethics and discuss protective measures and safeguards to ensure these standards are adhered to.
3. Evaluate NAADAC’s Code of Ethics and determine how addition professionals use its principles to guide their delivery of professional care to individuals seeking their services.
4. Summarize state-specific ethical standards for addiction professionals.
5. Appraise laws and regulations that protect and safeguard confidentiality for clients seeking substance abuse treatment.
6. Arrange the seven fundamental steps of decision-making for addiction professionals seeking to resolve ethical dilemmas.
7. Determine how addiction professionals can best maintain personal/professional boundaries as well as competency and integrity.
8. Predict how to resolve numerous case studies that scrutinize ethical conflicts faced by addiction professionals.
CE Outline with Main Points
a. Case studies
d. Beneficence and Nonmaleficence
2. Codes of Ethics
a. The Counseling Relationship
b. Confidentiality and Privileged Communication
c. Professional Responsibilities and Workplace Standards
d. Working in a Culturally Diverse World
e. Assessment, Evaluation and Interpretation
f. E-Therapy, E-Supervision, and Social Media
g. Supervision and Consultation
h. Resolving Ethical Concerns
i. Research and Publication
3. State Codes of Ethics
a. Iowa State Code of Ethics For All IBC Certified Professionals
b. Iowa State Code of Ethics for Prevention Specialists
c. California State Code of Ethics for CAADE Professionals
d. California State Code of Ethics for Alcohol / Drug Counselors Holding A CCAPP Endorsement
4. Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 2
a. 42 CFR Part 2
b. 42 CFR Part 2: The Final Rule
c. Final Rule Compliance dates
d. Final Rule Revisions to 42 CFR Part 2
e. Final Rule Practical Points of Interest For Addiction Professionals
5. Resolving Ethical Dilemmas
a. The Fundamental Steps of Decision-Making Models
b. How a Decision-Making Model May Be Used to Resolve Case Studies
ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at email@example.com.
Added On: 2018-09-01