Patient Dumping of Mentally Ill Individuals Needing Emergency Care
$40.00 | CE Hours:8.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
The enforcement of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) and the policies designed to ensure that hospitals, localities, or states are not “dumping” indigent, mentally ill patients in need of emergency care on other hospitals, localities, or states in violation of the law are examined in this CEU course. Policy suggestions to better protect the rights of the mentally ill are also considered.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss what patient dumping refers to.
2. Explain the statutory rights of action created by Congress in drafting EMTALA.
3. Investigate what CMS requires hospitals must do, in addition to providing a medical screening examination, necessary stabilizing treatment, appropriate transfers, and acceptance of transfers under the statute.
4. Examine what medical professionals should do when both physical and mental emergencies exist.
5. Elucidate who may file a civil rights complaint with OCR on behalf of a victim.
6. Identify the federal provisions related to mental health disabilities that the Office for Civil Rights has the power to enforce.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is not offered for this course. A list of courses offering ACE credit can be found here.
To see approvals for a different license type in your state, visit our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2015-09-08