Group Therapy Treatment for Substance Abuse (Revised)
$55.00 | CE Hours:11.00 | Intermediate
IAODAPCA credit for: Counselor I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II, PCGC II, CCJP II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, NCRS II, CFPP II, CVSS II
CE Course Description
Groups can support individual members in times of pain and trouble, and they can help people grow in ways that are healthy and creative. This CE course assists counselors in enhancing their therapeutic skills with regards to leading groups that are designed to promote recovery from substance abuse.
Article Author: Philip Flores, Ph.D., COP, FAGPA, et al.; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the primary areas in which leaders should possess knowledge and skills.
2. Explain the single most important factor contributing to the success of outpatient therapy groups.
3. Scrutinize which type of client may be inappropriate for group therapy.
4. Elucidate the specific personal qualities and professional practices required for effective group leadership.
5. Identify the leader’s job in interpersonal process group therapy.
6. Describe the feelings that are common among people with substance abuse histories which the group leader needs to be able to empathize with.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2021-04-16