Chronic Pain and Opioid Misuse
$5.00 | CE Hours:1.00 | Intermediate
CE Course Description
The crisis of prescription opioid related harms has focused attention toward identifying and treating high-risk populations. This CE course reviews the epidemiology and clinical management of comorbid chronic pain and prescription opioid or other substance misuse.
Author: University of British Columbia; Pauline Voon, RN, BSN, PhD(c), et al. (2017, August). Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention and Policy: Chronic pain and opioid misuse: a review of reviews.
Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1186/s13011-017-0120-7.
CE Course Objectives
1. Explain why buprenorphine / naloxone may be favorable over methadone.
2. Compare and contrast misuse, abuse, and addiction.
3. Identify the mental health condition that was associated with increased risk for opioid misuse among chronic pain patients.
4. Describe how urine drug testing may compromise the patient-provider relationship.
CE Outline with Main Points
2. Epidemiology of chronic pain and PO use
a. Rates of pain in non-medical PO users
b. Rates of dependence, substance use disorder, and problematic use in chronic pain patients
c. Correlates of concurrent pain and opioid misuse
3. Clinical assessment and management strategies
a. Assessment and monitoring
b. Treatment and intervention approaches
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2018-05-14