Anger Management: A Cognitive Behavioral Approach (Update)
$15.00 | CE Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
IAODAPCA CE Credit for: Counselor I or II, Preventionist I or II, CARS I or II, CODP I or II or III, PCGC II, CCJP I or II, CAAP I, CRSS I or II, CPRS I or II, MAATP I or II, RDDP, CFPP II, CVSS II
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED CE Hours for only $74.95?
Click Here to learn more.
CE Course Description and Goals
Anger and substance use disorders often co-occur, increasing the risk for negative consequences such as physical aggression, self-harm, distressed relationships, loss of a job, or criminal justice involvement. This CE course outlines a 12-week cognitive-behavioral anger management group treatment modality that allows professionals who treat clients with mental health and co-occurring substance use disorders to deliver group cognitive-behavioral anger management treatment, illustrating the key conceptual components of the treatment, and between-session challenges for group members.
Author: Reilly, P.M., & Shopshire, M.S. Anger Management for Substance Use Disorder and Mental Health Clients: A Cognitive–Behavioral Therapy Manual. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP19-02-01-001. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2019.
References / Contributions by:
Coccaro, E.F., Berman, M.E., & McCloskey, M. (2017). Development of a screening questionnaire for DSM-5 intermittent explosive disorder (IED-SQ). Comprehensive Psychiatry, 74, 21–26.
Cuijpers, P., Cristea, I.A., Karyotaki, E., Reijnders, M., & Huibers, M.J.H. (2016). How effective are cognitive behavior therapies for major depression and anxiety disorders? A meta-analytic update of the evidence. World Psychiatry, 15, 245–258.
Fernandez, E., Malvaso, C., Day, A., & Guharajan, D. (2018). 21st century cognitive behavioural therapy for anger: A systematic review of research design, methodology and outcome. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 46(4), 385–404.
Retrieved from: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Anger-Management-for-Substance-Abuse-and-Mental-Health-Clients-A-Cognitive-Behavioral-Therapy-Manual/PEP19-02-01-001
CE Course Objectives
1. Select three reasons for recommending that anger management treatment be delivered in a group setting.
2. Identify the four reasons or purposes for the anger management group.
3. List three situations where anger is a natural response.
4. Name three instances in which anger is a problem.
5 List four skills or masteries involved in effective anger management.
6. Enumerate four behavioral cues to anger.
7. Distinguish three hallmark signs of anger’s explosive phase.
8. Determine one desirable alternative to aggressive behavior.
2. Overview of Group Anger Management Treatment
3. Events and Cues
4. Anger Control Plans
5. The Aggression Cycle
6. Cognitive Restructuring
7. Assertiveness Training and the Conflict Resolution Model
8. Anger and the Family
Course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2023 - 01/03/2026. Social workers completing this course receive 3.00 'Clinical' continuing education credits.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
*Questions regarding how to take a course, refunds, grievance policy and ADA policy can be found here.
*Questions regarding this course or need support? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Added On: 2019-11-18