Opioid Addicted Patients: Medical Problems
$20.00 | CE Hours:4.00 | Intermediate
CEU Course Description
Some medical problems are more prevalent and often more severe in people addicted to opioids than in the general population. This CEU course identifies medical problems commonly encountered in people addicted to opioids, discusses their treatment in opioid treatment programs (OTP), and notes important considerations in deciding which medical services will be provided in an OTP and which can best be performed as a referred service.
Article Author: Steven Batki, M.D.
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Explain what should take place when a patient in MAT abuses a CNS depressant.
2. Investigate which HIV medication increases methadone levels.
3. Examine the factors that have been found to increase the prevalence of co-occurring disorders.
4. Identify which disease is transmitted at the highest rate among injection drug users.
5. Provide which medications should be avoided for acute pain management because they can cause opioid withdrawal in patients receiving MAT.
Social Work Approval
Social Work CE Credit for this course is offered with the following approvals. Many state boards of social work will accept the approvals listed. Provider Approvals by state and license type can be found here.
- Quantum Units Education is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, CAMFT Provider #89970, to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEP. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Florida board for Social Workers CE Provider #50-8650 (Quantum 'immediately' reports CE Credits to Florida licensees)
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, License No. 159.001261 approved CE Sponsor
- Ohio CSWMFTB #RCST091701 approved CE Provider
- Texas Board of SWE #5070 approved CE Provider
- ACE credit is offered for this course for social workers (followed by ACE approval statement that is currently on every ACE course page) Quantum Units Education, #1289, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Quantum Units Education maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 01/03/2020 – 01/03/2023.
To see other approvals in your state, see our state by state provider approval listings here.
This course is CAADE approved.
Course Development: Each course is identified and reviewed by the appropriate Quantum Units Education consultant with professional and licensed expertise in the various disciplines we serve. Our professional consultants oversee course development to satisfy the needs of various professionals based on their board requirements, rate course degrees of difficulty and ensure the course content and exam questions are appropriate, relevant and comprehensive. See our professional staff and their bios here.
Added On: 2017-11-05