Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for Senior Centers
$9.00 | CEU Hours:3.00 | Intermediate
Approved by Oregon DHS for AMH, APD and DD*This course is not approved for NBCC renewal. Please see our NBCC category of courses here.
CEU Course Description
As a focus point for the community, senior centers connect older adults with a range of critical services and programs, including meals and nutrition programs, transportation services, health and wellness programs, and social and recreational activities. Therefore, these centers play an important role in promoting emotional health among older adults and increasing the factors that may protect them from suicide. This CEU course provides an overview of suicide among older adults and how to help address this important problem. In addition, this course discusses key strategies that can be used to promote emotional well-being and prevent suicide among older adults and describes recommended steps for carrying out each strategy.
Article Author: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Exam writer: Patricia Hocking-Walker, M.S. (Psychology)
CEU Course Objectives
1. Enumerate protective factors for suicide among older adults.
2. Explain the protocol for responding to a suicide death.
3. Investigate what is a normal part of aging and what is not a normal part of aging.
4. Identify behaviors that may indicate that a person is at immediate risk of suicide.
5. Describe strategies that can be used for preventing and stopping bullying.