Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT) Addiction Treatment
$63.00 | CEU Hours:21
(includes 3 hrs of Ethics/Legal Issues)
CE Course Description
This course was developed using material from The Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). It is designed to provide professionals and students with information about appropriate diagnosis and treatment approaches that will help ensure the development or enhancement of effective lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) sensitive substance abuse treatment programs.
Specifically, it provides an introduction to strategies and methods for improving current services to LGBT individuals and steps for starting new treatment programs.
The course also provides valuable information to assist in raising awareness about the issues unique to LGBT clients and provides statistical and demographic information, prevalence data, case examples and suggested interventions, treatment guidelines and approaches, and organizational policies and procedures.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify characteristics and life style issues of LGBT individuals and evaluate how life experiences may shape substance abuse among the LGBT population.
2. Review various perspectives on gay culture, how cross-cultural issues affect substance abuse special issues that need to be addressed when working with LGBT clients and
3. Recognize the legal barriers facing LGBT individuals, the level of care and treatment options that tend to work best for LGBT clients, and how programs can be made accessible for these populations.
4. Evaluate the potential interaction among substance abuse, recovery issues, and the coming out process, as well as how family histories and personal relationships affect substance abuse issues and the treatment process.
5. Identify specific issues relevant to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender individuals, and LGBT youth, and explore health issues that face these clients along with competency issues for counselors dealing with this population.
6. Review administrative policies and procedures for serving LGBT clients and recognize how using alliances and networks can help with the delivery of services for LGBT clients.